Sunday, December 14, 2014

Her First Day (Part 14)

He went back in the room with Missy. She never stirred. He plopped down in the chair next to the bed, running his hands through his hair. He watched her as she slept wrapped in the thin sheet. He grabbed the folded up blanket from the bottom of the bottom of the bed, spreading it out over her. She grabbed the blanket and wrapped it around herself. He fell asleep watching over her. The toll of the day overtaking his body. He was shaken awake by the orderly he saw in the hallway. “Hey,” he said. “Hey,” he said, stretching. “What’s going on?” “Come in the hallway with me, so we don’t disturb her.” “Yeah, sure,” he said, looking at Missy. They walked into the hallway. Holland wiped the sleep from his eyes. “I have an update for you on the other orderly and Farmer.” “Okay.” “Unfortunately, the orderly did not pull through. The gunshot pierced his lung. We got here too late. Farmer, however, did pull through. He is out of surgery and in ICU at the moment. The cops will be charging him with murder and as soon as he is able to be moved, he will be going to the jail infirmary. We do not want him here. They will be taking over his care there and if he doesn’t make it, then it isn’t our problem,” he said with a grin and a shrug. “I am sorry that you friend didn’t make it. He seemed to be a nice guy. What was his name?” “Chad Davis. He just graduated college. He was only here for two weeks.” “Jesus,” Holland said, running his hands over his face. Did he have a family?” “No, he was only twenty four. He was a great guy. We went to the same college.” “Andrew?” they heard coming from the room. “I am right here, Missy. I’ll be right there,” he said, looking back into the room. “I am sorry. Thank you for letting me know.” “You’re welcome. Let me check her vitals while I am here,” he said, following Holland back into the room. “Hi, Missy. My name is Claude. I am going to check your vitals, okay?” “Yes,” she said. “Okay, can you turn your arm with your palm facing up for me, so I can check your pulse?” “Sure,” she said, doing as he said. He placed his forefinger and middle finger on her wrist. He felt her pulse suddenly pick up. Looking at her, he watched as her eyes rolled in the back of her head. “No, no, no,” he said as her body begin to convulse. Holland sat there stunned. “Get me something to put in her mouth, quickly.” Holland ran from the room to the nurse’s station. Two nurses followed him. One had a wooden dowel in her hand. She forced Missy’s mouth open and placed it between her teeth. One nurse laid across her legs, while the orderly tried to hold her down. Holland stood back and watched in fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment