Saturday, September 20, 2014

Her First Day (Part 3)

She began to fidget with the hem of her dark blue suit jacket. He saw her getting nervous. If she was going to work with him, he needed to know what had taken place.
"Do you want to discuss what happened at your last job," he asked. She shifted in her chair. She wasn't ready, but knew she was going to have to tell him eventually. Today, might as well be that day. She took a deep breath, steadying herself before answering him.
"I really don't care to discuss it, but I know I will need to tell you if we are going to work together and end up on a case against my old firm."
"Yes, I don't want you to be discredited in court by the opposing firm."
"I worked for them for quite a long time. My boss really liked me. He liked me enough to take me under his wing and teach me almost everything he knew. He told me it was possible I would end up becoming one of their top lawyers and a junior partner before I knew it. I was elated. The problem happened when his son asked me on a date and I refused. He started making rude comments to me as soon as I came into work. He would tell me all the the things he wanted to do to me and what he wanted me to do to him. He began calling my house late at night. When I disconnected that phone, he got my cellphone number and started calling it. I would let every call go to voice mail and kept all of them as evidence. When I finally got enough nerve to approach his father about it, I played him the messages. He called his son into the office and asked him about it. His son told him that it was all a joke we played with each other. I had changed my phone number that morning. After I left the office, I received a phone call from him. He had somehow learned my new number. He threatened my life. That is when I went looking for a new job and came across this one."
"Do you think he would actually hurt you?"
" I don't know. I left before I could find out. What I do know is that he is sick and I couldn't take that chance."
"Do you still have those messages? More importantly the thrreatening one?" he asked, his voice laced with concern. She nodded her head, pulling out her phone. She slid it across the table to him. He slid it open, accessing her voicemail and listening to the threatening message. He closed his eyes as the voicemail ended. With his jaw clenched, he slid the phone back across the desk to her. He sat there just staring at her. He didn't know what to say. What he heard on that voicemail angered him. He didn't know Missy, but he damn sure wasn't going to let anything happen to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment