Sunday, October 5, 2014

Her First Day (Part 4)


"I'm sorry you had to deal with that arrogant prick. How dare he threaten your life. Just because his dad owned the firm, did not give him the right to treat you like you were his."
"Thank you. That is why I left," she said, voice shaking. The tears were coming. She thought she had finished crying over that place and him. "I was no longer comfortable working there. I thought his father would put a stop to it, but I was wrong. I  knew if I stayed there any longer it would only get worse. I have moved out of my apartment and into a hotel under a different name since then. I again changed all my numbers and got rid of my email accounts, starting all new ones."
"Good, girl. Do you still talk to anyone at your old firm?"
"No, I cut off all communication with everyone for not only my own safety, but theirs as well."
"Good. You don't need to put anyone else in danger. If you want to press charges against him, I will help you with that."
"Thank you for the offer, but I would rather just not deal with it anymore, if I can avoid it."
"I can't say that I blame you. If you ever need anything, you let me know. We will take him down."
"I will," she said, giving him a weak smile. He returned it.
"Now, let's get down to business. Are you ready for your first case with us?"
"I am," she said, straightening herself up in her seat. She was nervous about telling him why she left, but was now glad she had done it. He seemed to understand the severity of her situation and why she ran from the prestigious firm. She was caught up in her own thought when she heard him calling her name.
"Missy, Missy, earth to Missy," he said, grinning at her.
"I'm sorry. I was still thinking about what happened. Please, repeat what this case is about, again."
"It's okay," he chuckled. "You have been through a lot and were just trying to forget it. Here I am making you relive it all over again."
"No, I should have shut that part out when you said it was time to talk about the case. Let's get started. I am eager to dive into my first case here and learn what you have to teach me."
"Alright, well your first case will with me has to do with a murder. The cops know who committed the murder, but the evidence is lacking. We need to help them build the case against the guy for a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt. Are you up for it?"
"Yes, who is he suspected of murdering?"
"His ex girlfriend. The cops think he did it in a jealous rage," he said, visibly wincing at the statement. After what she just told him, he knew this one was going to hit a little too close to home for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment